New in paperback, Durkheim, the Durkheimians, and the Arts investigates engagement with art among Durkheim and his contemporaries as well as later thinkers influenced by his work, while ... Continue reading on Tumblr
We’re delighted to offer a selection of latest releases from our core subjects of Anthropology, Cultural Studies, History, Medical Anthropology and Mobility Studies, along with our New in Paperback titles. _________________________________________________________________________ DESIGNING WORLDS National Design Histories in an Age … Continue reading
by Olaf Zenker Ethnographer Olaf Zenker details a walk through the Catholic side of Ireland in this excerpt from his book Irish/ness is all Around Us: Language Revivalism and the Culture of Ethnic Identity in Northern Ireland, now available in … Continue reading
The United Nations’ (UN) World Refugee Day is observed on June 20 each year. This event draws public’s attention to the millions of refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide who have been forced to flee their homes due to … Continue reading
Anthropology in Action Journal for Applied Anthropology in Policy and Practice Volume 23, Issue 1: Towards Communities of Practice in Global Sustainability This special issue focuses on eight case-based articles and one theoretical article on communities of practice, within … Continue reading
By Iain R. Edgar Excerpted from The Dream in Islam: From Qur’anic Tradition to Jihadist Inspiration by Iain R. Edgar. Research has shown that some jihadists take, or at least claim to take, dreams into consideration when … Continue reading
- We will be attending the following conferences with our own booth. Please stop by for a chat and to browse our books on display.
- July 4-7, 2016 Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK and Commonwealth (ASA) Annual Conference Durham, UK Attending: Leigh Waite http://bit.ly/1ljNnPr
- July 20-23, 2016 14th Biennial Conference of the European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA) Milan, Italy Attending: Marion Berghahn and Vivian Berghahn http://bit.ly/1NGWYvu
- September 12-18, 2016 Brooklyn Book Festival Brooklyn, NY Attending: Jeremy Wang-Iverson and Natalia Uruska http://bit.ly/1CJ9ZwY
- September 20-23, 2016 51st Historikertag Hamburg, Germany Attending: Marion Berghahn http://bit.ly/1ljNxGq
- September 29-October 2, 2016 German Studies Association San Diego, CA Attending: Marion Berghahn and Chris Chappell http://bit.ly/1M9fixT
- October 19-23, 2016 Frankfurt Book Fair Frankfurt, Germany Attending: Leigh Waite and Rupert Jones-Parry http://bit.ly/1ux6yGk
- November 16-20, 2016 American Anthropological Association Minneapolis, MN Attending: Marion Berghahn, Vivian Berghahn and Duncan Ranslem http://bit.ly/1MfTKdu
- Berghahn Titles will be on display at the following conferences:
- May 11-15, 2016 Canadian Anthropology Society & the Society for the Anthropology of North America (CASCA/SANA) Halifax, NS, Canada http://bit.ly/1Q614Zj
- May 28-June 3, 2016 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences Calgary, Canada http://bit.ly/1LJXPq6
- If you have any questions or want to make an appointment, please write to us at email@example.com.
Our Common DenominatorHuman Universals Revisited
“After many decades of one-sided emphasis on cultural differences in anthropology and related disciplines, we are badly in need of an examination like this that foregrounds what human beings have in common.” · Wilfried van Damme, Leiden University
Fascist InteractionsProposals for a New Approach to Fascism and Its Era, 1919-1945
David D. Roberts
“The literature on fascism has become so elaborate and dense during the past couple of decades that we badly need surefooted critical guidance of the kind that Roberts provides. This consistently interesting volume is the culminating statement of a long and distinguished career.” · Geoff Eley, University of Michigan
Migration by BoatDiscourses of Trauma, Exclusion and Survival
Edited by Lynda Mannik
“This book is highly original in its emphasis on representations of enforced sea journeys and their memorialisations. Many, including myself, would like it on their shelf for teaching and reference.” · Michael Pugh, University of Bradford
New in Paperback
Domesticating YouthYouth Bulges and their Socio-political Implications in Tajikistan
“…a terrifically engaging work, one that addresses a wide range of important ideas while also offering some first-rate ethnographic research. Students of Central Asia, or indeed of social institutions elsewhere, would be well advised to take a close look.” · Central Asian Affairs
New in Paperback
The Mind of the NationVölkerpsychologie in Germany, 1851-1955
“Klautke charts the historical and systematic differences between the concepts of Völkerpsychologie over a century in a book of fewer than 200 pages. Readers will consult with profit this short, but important history of ideas, science, and culture, which deals with the arguments and topics relating to Völkerpsychologie.” · German Historical Institute London Bulletin
New in Paperback
Ordinary Lives and Grand SchemesAn Anthropology of Everyday Religion
Edited by Samuli Schielke and Liza Debevec
“The great merit of this book consists in taking the practices of the people “on the ground” into account. It thereby addresses a gap: the moments when grand schemes and daily practices come together, often in contradiction or in complex and open ways… a compelling and inspirational volume.” · Allegra Laboratory
Conflict and Society
Advances in Research
Publishing peer-reviewed articles by international scholars, Conflict and Society expands the field of conflict studies by using ethnographic inquiry to establish new fields of research and interdisciplinary collaboration. An opening special section presents general articles devoted to a topic or region followed by a section featuring conceptual debates on key problems in the study of organized violence. Review articles and topical overviews offer navigational assistance across the vast and varied terrain of conflict research, and comprehensive reviews of new books round out each volume. With special attention paid to ongoing debates on the politics and ethics of conflict studies research, including military-academic cooperation, Conflict and Society will be an essential forum for scholars, researchers, and policy makers in the fields of anthropology, sociology, political science, and development studies. More Information...
Advances in Research
Museum Worlds: Advances in Research is a multidisciplinary, refereed, annual journal that publishes work that significantly advances knowledge of global trends, case studies, and theory relevant to museum practice and scholarship around the world.
Responding to the need for a rigorous, in-depth review of current work in its field, Museum Worlds: Advances in Research contributes to the ongoing formation of Museum Studies as an academic and practical area of research that is rapidly expanding and alive with potential, opportunity, and challenge that parallels the rapid growth of museums in just about every part of the world. More Information...
View virtual issues, online tours, museum news, events, and more. More Information...
Crown, Church and ConstitutionPopular Conservatism in England, 1815-1867
“Neuheiser’s study enriches the scholarship on England, without question. He does not turn prevailing interpretations upside down; rather, his study shows that interpretations of English social history continue to be hotly debated and will remain a field for further research for some time to come.” · Neue Politische Literatur