An Expanded Global Guide
Associations and conferences
- Rethinking Educational Ethnography: Transparency in Ethnographic Epistemologies. The 6th international Rethinking Educational Ethnograpgy conference focuses on epistemological and methodological transparency in designing and conducting ethnographic studies in virtual and physical spaces. Klaipeda, Lithuania, July 1-2, 2016.
- Research Committee on Sociology of Education, RC04, at the 3rd ISA Forum of Sociology in Vienna, July 10-14, 2016, including a session on “Space, Education, and Inequalities. Organized by Analía Inés Meo, Sofia Marques da Silva, and Diana Milstein.
- The Network of Iberoamerican Anthropologists (AIBR), 2nd AIBR Conference of Anthropology, Barcelona (Spain), 6-9 September 2016.
- Professor Bettina Fritzsche and colleagues announce “Ethnography of Practice – Doing Ethnography,” February 22-24, 2016, at the University of Hildesheim, Germany.
- The Research Committee on Sociology of Education, RC04, calls for papers for sessions at the 3rd ISA Forum of Sociology in Vienna, including a session on “Space, Education, and Inequalities” organized by Analía Inés Meo, Sofía Marques da Silva, and Diana Milstein due by September 30, 2015
- The China Council of Anthropology of Education (CCAE, 中国教育人类学学会), affiliated with the China Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (CUAES), centered in Beijing, and headed by Professor Teng Xing, will hold its inaugural meeting in summer 2014 and has a blog at http://blog.sina.com.cn/ccae2013.
- Another network of educational anthropologists, 中国教育人类学 , affiliated with the China Education Association, is having its fourth annual conference; it brings together several national research centers and many key universities, and is centered in Guangzhou under the leadership of Professor Feng Zengjun of Zhangshan Univeristy.
- The American Anthropological Association has established a permanent Committee on World Anthropologies, which organizes sessions at the annual meetings. It has posted “Interactive Videos and Blogs” on non-hegemonic anthropology and Global Anthropology Links.
- Presentation from the Simposio Interamericano de Investigación Etnográfica de la Educación / Inter-American Symposium on Ethnography and Education XIII, which took place 18-20 September 2013 at UCLA, are posted at this link.
- The annual Oxford Ethnography and Education Conference takes place September 21-23, 2015.
- III International Symposium Ethnographic Encounters with Children and Adolescents in Educational Contexts, took place in Oaxaca, Mexico, 4-5 November, 2013.
- Council on Anthropology and Education (US) meets at the annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Denver, CO, November 18-22, 2015.
- III Congresso Internacional de Etnografia y Education, Madrid 2013 took place July 3-5, 2013.
- Ethnography and Education (UK)
- The European Educational Research Association (EERA) held its 2015 European Conference on Educational Research in Budapest September 7-11. See papers by members of Network 19 on Ethnography. Kommission Pädagogische Anthropologie of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Erziehungswissenschaft (DgfE, German Society for Educational Research)
- Le Réseau Ouest et Centre Africain de Recherche en Education (ROCARE)/Educational Research Network for West and Central Africa (ERNWACA)
- Thematic network RT4 Sociologie de l’éducation et de la formation of the AFS, L’Association Française de sociologie
- Research Committees CR07 : Éducation, formation, socialisation and CR31 : Sociologie de l’enfance of l’Association internationale de sociologues de langue française (AIFLS).
References in anthropology of education and ethnography of education
- Anthropologies of Education –this volume– is out in paperback from Berghahn Books.
- Scheunpflug, Annette, and Christoph Wulf (guest editors). 2015. “Pädagogische Anthropologie” (Theme issue). Pp. 1-100 in Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft 18, no. 1.
- Rockwell, Elsie, and Kathryn Anderson-Levitt (guest editors), 2015. “Dossier. Significant currents of ethnographic research on education: Majorities, minorities and migrations across the Americas.” Educação e Pesquisa (São Paulo). v. 41 (2015), Nuúmero Especial.
- Dossier on Childhood and children in contemporary Andran Societies, Bulletin of the French Institute of Andean Studies, including Patricia Ames’ paper from the Inter-American Symposium 2013.
- Education & Ethnography announced its latest publication, The benefits, problems and issues of comparative and cross-cultural research – edited by Bettina Fritzsche and Christina Huf.
- Education & Ethnography announces its latest publication, Performativity in UK Education, Ethnographic cases of its effects, agency and reconstructions, edited by Bob Jeffrey and Geoff Troman.
- Población inmigrante y escuela: conocimientos y saberes de investigación, edited by F. Javier García Castaño y Silvia Carrasco Pons (Colección Estudios Creade No 8, Ministerio de Educación 2011), includes many studies by anthropologists.
- Ethnographic studies in Arabic and Hebrew. A bibliography by Hai Yehia Kussai, Beit Berl College
- Civiliserende institutioner: Om idealer og distinktioner i opdragelse [Civilizing institutions: Ideals and variations in parenting]. In the series “Antropologiske studier og fagområdet Pædagogik,” by Laura Gilliam and Eva Gulløv, with contributions by Karen Fog Olwig and Dil Bach.
- Hvem sagde samarbejde? Et hverdagsstudie af skole-hjem-relationer [Who said cooperation?
A study of everyday school-home relationships], by Karen Ida Dannesboe, Niels Kryger, Charlotte Palludan and Birte Ravn.
- Anderson, Sally. 2011. Civil Sociality and Childhood Education, in A Companion to the Anthropology of Education, which reviews much of the Danish literature.
Programs and projects
- Aarhus University’s PhD program in educational anthropology in Copenhagen; funding for international students is available on a competitive basis. Contact Dr. Karen Valentin.
- The Anthropology of Childhood, Youth and Education at Brunel University in London offers post-graduate degrees.
- The Programa de Antropología y Educación of the University of Buenos Aires publishes a regular Bulletin.
- Anthropology of Education and Globalisation in English, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- Social Participation Strategies and Racism Prevention in Schools / Estrategias de participación social y prevención del racism en las esculas (II), a project at the Centro de Ciencias Humanas y Sociales, Madrid, Spain.
Other international volumes surverying fields parallel to Anthropologies of Education
- Hill, L. D., & Levine, F. J. (Eds.). (2015). World Education Research Yearbook 2015. New York: Routledge. [First annual yearbook published by the World Education Research Association.]
- Manzon, M. (2011). Comparative Education: The Construction of a Field (Vol. 29). Hong Kong: Springer/University of Hong Kong. (Reviews comparative education from the perspectives of different national practices.)
- Bühler–Niederberger, Doris, & Sirota, Régine. (2010). Marginality and Voice, Children in Sociology and Society. Current Sociology, 58(2). (Reviews of sociology of childhood in ten countries.)
- Wolhuter, Charl, Popov, Nikolay, Manzon, Maria, & Leutwyler, Bruno (Eds.). (2007). Comparative Education at Universities World Wide (2nd ed.). Sofia, Bulgaria: Bureau for Educational Services. (Reviews of comparative education in 36 countries and regions, and including a few chapters in Spanish and English.)
Websites and portals
- The German Education Portal provides links to information and research on education worldwide. It has posted a dossier on Educational Research in Brazil. 07.10.2013
- Education Review//Renseñas Educativas publishes book reviews in Spanish, Portuguese and English: www.edrev.info
- French-language portal to sociology and anthropology in wikipedia.fr: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portail:Sociologie
- Portal to open-source peer-reviewed French-language journals including journals in the educational sciences: www.revues.org // www.openedition.org
- Site where Latin American member institutions (e.g., libraries, scholarly associations) provide open access journals: http://www.scielo.org
- See Alperin, Juan Pablo, Fischman, Gustavo Enrique, & Willinsky, John. (2008). “Open Access and Scholarly Publishing in Latin America: Ten flavours and a few reflections.” Liinc em Revista: http://revista.ibict.br/liinc/index.php/liinc/article/viewFile/269/167
Selected scholarly journals
- Anthropology and Education Quarterly (US)
- Éducation et Sociétés (France)
- Ethnography and Education (UK)
- Journal of Educational Media, Memory, and Society (US)
- Learning and Teaching (LATISS) (UK)
- Revista Mexicana de Investigación Educativa (Mexico)
- Teachers College Record (US)
- Ethnography and Education European Review (Europe) has recently become Revue Internationale d’Ethnographie, and will publish electronically in French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and other languages. (Spain, with partners in Austria and USA).
- ETNIA-E . Cuadernos de investigación etnográfica sobre infancia, adolescencia y educación del IMA / FMEE (Spain)
- Papeles de Trabajo sobre Cultura, Educación y Desarrollo Humano/Working Papers on Culture, Education and Human Development (Spain)
- EMIGRA Newsletter and EMIGRA Working Papers collections (Spain)
- Boletín de Antropología y Educación (Argentina)
- Cahiers de la recherche sur l’éducation et les savoirs, published by ARES (association de recherche sur l’éducation et les savoirs), focuses on education and knowledge in the global South and often publishes ethnographic research.
List of references to other books and articles about anthropologies around the world
- Barth, Fredrik, Gingrich, Andre, Parkin, Robert, & Silverman, Sydel. (2005). One Discipline, Four Ways: British, German, French and American Anthropology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Boškovic, Aleksandar (Ed.). (2008). Other People’s Anthropologies: Ethnographic Practice on the Margins. New York/Oxford: Berghahn Books.
- Dracklé, Dorle, Edgar, Iain R., & Schippers, Thomas K. (2003). Educational Histories of European Social Anthropology. New York/Oxford: Berghahn Books.
- Escobar, Arturo, & Restrepo, Eduardo. (2005). Other Anthropologies and Anthropology Otherwise: Steps to a World Anthropologies Framework. Critique of Anthropology, 25(2): 99-129.
- Ntarangwi, Mwenda, Mills, David, & Babiker, Mustafa H. M. (2006). African anthropologies: history, critique, and practice. London/New York: Zed Books/Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ribero, Gustavo Lins, & Escobar, Arturo (Eds.). (2006). World Anthropologies: Disciplinary Transformations within Systems of Power. Oxford: Berg Publishers.
- Vermuelen, Hans F., & Roldán, Arturo Alvarez (Eds.). (1995). Fieldwork and Footnotes: Studies in the History of European Anthropology (Vol. 20). London: Routledge.
- Yamashita, Shinji , Bosco, Joseph, & Eades, J. S. (Eds.). (2004). The Making of Anthropology in East and Southeast Asia. New York/Oxford: Berghahn Books.
- Do you have a link to suggest for this page? Contact Kathryn Anderson-Levitt at